Making of 'The Tribe!!!'
Hi guys, I'm Sreenath from God's own country: India. It's been three years since I started working as a CG artist for a small animation company. Along with this, I'm currently doing a graduate degree in visual communication.
This is the first CG work I've ever submitted to a CG website and indeed am happy that my first work has been selected by a popular website like 3DTotal.com! I did this work in my free time in the studio and I wouldn't have been able to complete it without to help of my colleagues, namely Jayesh Paroli and Sajeesh M.K - thanks guys!
The spark that led to this work was a sudden one and as usual, I gathered some reference materials together from the internet (Fig.01). And without further ado, I am happy to give you the Making Of "The Tribe!!!".
I used Maya for the most of the process, apart from when I used Photoshop for texturing and compositing. The monkey character and all the props were done by using the polygon box modeling method. I used extrude, split polygon, insert edge loops etc while modeling the character (Fig.02). Good references helped me model the mushroom, stones, drum and land. I started with base objects like a cylinder and box for modeling the bamboo, drums, mushroom etc (Fig.03).
Texturing and UV
Most of the objects were textured using Photoshop. First I unwrapped almost all of the objects. The Maya UV tool is an excellent tool that helped me to do that. Here I used cylindrical mapping and rendered it on 2k resolution (Fig.04).
After that I used Photoshop CS3 for texturing by using the brush tool exposure tools (Dodge, burn etc). I also created some normal maps with help of crazy bump, and applied them to Maya to get a better result. I should mention that Jayseh Paroli helped me a lot with the texturing (Fig.05).
Lighting and Rendering
For lighting I used a regular method three-point light system with some alterations. I also used a Dome light set up (Fig.06).
I used mental ray for rendering and I took different passes and composited in Photoshop (Fig.07). Later I did some very fine color correction using Photoshop CS3 to get the final look.
And here's the final image (Fig.08)!