Texturing with 3D Total's Texture CD's

The basic idea of this image was to try out the possibilities of the 3D Total texture series. Therefore this project started mainly as a texturing exercise, but later it become more or less a Lighting-Rendering study with PRMan. I have used Maya for modeling-lighting, PRMan for rendering. As I have not planned animating the scene therefore I have used Photoshop for compositing at this time. Otherwise animating the scene would be entirely possible as I have used any corrections what were not based on pre rendered passes or ID maps (no over painting or such were done).


As my approach was to reach all the wished details with displacement or bump map combinations, therefore I have not modeled the cracks on the walls, mortars or holes between bricks. As you can see I have used simple forms, almost standard primitives, so the modeling was fairly obvious and not too complicated. I have shaped everything from polygons and right before rendering I have converted them to Pixar Subdivison format.

Here you can see a couple of screen-grabs about probably the most detailed section of the scene:


I have used the 3D Total Texture series 1-3 for texturing the church. Although I have heavily modified the textures, the base of the materials come from these CDs. I was positively surprised when I saw that the displacement/bump maps were not just a desaturated versions of the color map, but cleverly modified or repainted to have the proper information of the height too.

I am going to show two examples of the wall textures in detail. The first one is an overall red-ish huge brick stone texture was used for the main walls of the church.
I started with the sto003.jpg map and used it as a base, then I removed the strange bits in Photoshop meanwile tried to keep it uniform, after that I have given some more white - washed out - patches with inverting the dirt007.jpg texture. I have used the concr91b.jpg to shape the bricks and form the mortars. Finishing the texture I have added even more dirt and dust layers (dir2_002.jpg, mas_009.jpg) as it is seen on these images:

One of the trickiest wall was the pebble style front cover around the windows. First of all I have mixed two pebble style textures together to get the base of the color variations on the surface. I have made a bit of desaturation and levels/contrast as well. I have used the mass009.jpg texture to form the brick pattern. First inverted it, and as the bricks were a bit big and wide for my taste, I scaled them and repeated the pattern. finally I have multiplied them together to get what I wanted.

As the bump maps were well modified in the first place, I just had to basically redo the fore mentioned steps to get the displacement maps. I have created finally the specular maps and used as follows:


I have tried to avoid using any kind of Global illumination approach, as I wanted more control over the image and I also did not want to wait ages for renders. Therefore I have used key-fill light mixture as the main light rig and I have also used a dome-light rig to generate ambient occlusion map to add more reality.

So first of all I have created the main light rig consist of the main Sun light and a couple of fill lights to soften-brighten up the shaded areas. I have created a dome light rig from 64 lights where 48 was acting as skylight, and the rest (16 lights) were the ground lights intended to simulate the bouncing lights from the ground plane.
Using the ambient occlusion render as a mask in composite, I had more control over the shaded parts of the image. I could darken/color correct specific parts as where wall are connected to each other and therefore less light to bounce into those areas. I have rendered an ID pass as well to be able to separate the objects during compositing for the final tweaking.

and finally a making of image with the flat shaded render, the final image and the colored occlusion map.

Click to Enlarge

and the final render:

Fetching comments...

Post a comment