Playing with discreet Balloons

Intro

The focus in this project was the composition between real and virtual elements. For the virtual elements I used discreet 3ds max 6 and post producted with Adobe Photoshop CS.

Actually, this is a very simple composition and the hardest task was creating the virtual balloon.

From the creation of the balloon, the hardest task was the sailcloth shader. Unfortunately a bug in 3ds max 6 was ignoring the shader supersampling when a Blend Material was used. After I found a workaround, everything worked as expected.

Below you will find the two primary elements: on the left a real photo avaliable at maps/backgrounds directory in 3ds max and the virtual balloon on the right.

In relation to the model of the balloon, everything was started constructing a sequence of Shapes simulating the main format of the balloon.

After that, I transformed this object into NURBS and created the surface of the balloon as shown below.

Then I modeled the small sailcloth close at the bottom of the balloon with NURBS to and initiated the construction of the basket with its rubber edge. This edge was modeled from a Shape Box.



Continuing the modeling of the basket, I added definition and details, like the iron structure formed in its majority from primitives and Splines.

I finished the details of the basket creating the inferior red rubber, the rope around the basket and the ropes holding it.

The last modeling process was the ropes that are between buds of the sailcloth. Using the tools in NURBS of 3ds max I accurately extracted the lines that skirted the balloon, horizontal and vertical lines, and created a solid structure from this.

The last modeling process was the ropes that are between buds of the sailcloth. Using the tools in NURBS of 3ds max I accurately extracted the lines that skirted the balloon, horizontal and vertical lines, and created a solid structure from this.

During the construction of the model I had already started to create the materials. They aren't complex. The most complex material is the sailcloth and it was composed mainly by two maps: a Gradiant Ramp applied to the Difuse channel, which I defined the blue coloration with the white central stripe and one another Gradient Ramp applied to the Bump channel with thousands of repetitions to simulate the specific aspect of the canvas. This material was mixed with another material that have discreet logo.

In this situation the Super Sampling was essential to keep the pixels quality and definition.

For the final scene illumination, I used an Omni on the left projecting a blue color, a SpotLight on the right projecting a light yellow color and a Skylight with Light Tracer simulating a global ilumination.

I pasted the balloon to the landscape photo and started correcting its coloration for a better fusing with the environment. Then I created its shadows from a copy of itself, totally black with a lower opacity. After that, I used the Diffuse Glow filter to simulate Specular Bloom effect also produced by Glare shader of mental ray. This filter blows up the clearest areas of the image affecting their illuination.

Next, I applied a Noise filter to break some of the balloon CG aspect and tunned the general color, contrast brightness of the image.

I finished the project with a little joke. I included a black edge, the MTV logo to the right, the legend and a television channel simulating a removed frame from a videoclip in television.