Modeling a magic character
Guzz Soares explains the sculpting techniques used in the creation of his stylized adaptation of Hermione Granger.
This image was based on Fabio Valle's concept art and is a part of a Daily Sketches project that I've been doing over this year. For this sketch I use ZBrush, 3ds Max and Photoshop to get the result that I wanted
Modeling the character
I started with ZSpheres to create a basemesh for my model. From there, I subdivided as needed as I crafted the basic shapes, and used the Move brush to adjust the silhouette. After that, I started to add the basic shapes of the
eyes and mouth.
Modeling the collar
To sculpt the cloth, I created a mask on the basemesh, and then extracted a new mesh from it. I started by making the collar using the Dam_Standard brush to mark where I want to create the collar, and then used the ClayBuildUp brush
to fill it.
Modeling the blouse
As I did with the collar, I used the Dam_Standard brush to define where I wanted to create the blouse, and used ClayBuildUp to fill it. After that, I used the Move brush to get the silhouette that I wanted.
Modeling the tie
From the cloth mesh, I masked and then extracted a new mesh to create the tie. Using the Move brush and Inflate brushes, I got the shape that I wanted. To create the symbol of Gryffindor, I downloaded a black and white image from the internet and imported that image into an Alpha. Then, using DragRect, I created a mask based on that image and used the Inflate brush to sculpt the shape of the symbol.
Modeling the hair
For the hair, I started with a sphere around the head, and used the CurveLineTube brush to draw a line where I wanted to create the strand. After that I used the Move brush to create the basic shape of the strand. Then I used DynaMesh to merge it with the hair.
The clay material was pretty simple to create. I played with BerconNoise map (a free plug-in) to get some variation on bump map, and I also added a VRayDirt map to get some variation on the Diffuse.
Light and camera setup
I change the light in every scene I make. In this case I used just one light on the top. For the camera, I like to work like real life, so for this piece, I thought a telephoto lens worked best, so I just put 200mm as the focal length (which is basically what I changed from default setup)
After some color correction on Photoshop, this is what I got.