Making Of 'The G-Spot'
Hello guys, how is going? To start this Making Of I would like to talk a bit about this little big space in a house called a bedroom. I used to say that for a man to be happy he basically needed two things:
1. A good job, because we spend most part of our day at work
2. A good mattress, because this is a fundamental part of our night, for our rest.
Some people don't think like that, but I believe that every bedroom has to have this. Under the sheets is where we create the people of tomorrow; the same new people who will hide under the covers from monsters that don't exist while we make the bedroom their safe zone. Okay, let's start this Making Of!
I like larger than average bedrooms, which mix wood and light, rustic walls in the best Scandinavian style. So I selected some reference images for lighting and materials that reflected that (Fig.01).
Every bedroom image that I selected is from Aurora Due from Poltrona Frau (www.poltronafrau.com), with a few changes.
The bed base was modelled in 3ds Max. I added a bit of movement on the leather at the head of bed using ZBrush. Obviously the mesh became very heavy so I utilised the Decimation Master plugin where I could optimise a lot of the mesh while keeping the mapping intact. This plugin is very useful if you don't want to use maps to generate volume on models (Fig.02 - 03).
The fabric used on bed was generated with Marvellous Designer. For the mattress sheet I used a simple box as an avatar. For the blanket that is over the bed I created an avatar the included the bed base and the sheet was again generated by Marvellous. To make it a bit lighter, I optimised the model using Pro Optimiser from 3ds Max (Fig.04).
The curtains were also generated using Marvellous. In Fig.05 you can see two models from the scene.
Marvellous can do very interesting movements; some of them are very hard to achieve in other software packages. For the curtains I did not utilise an avatar, but only a piece of fabric seamed on the curtain. So I deactivated this pattern for stray static so the curtain could adapt to that (Fig.06).
For the fabric of the pouffe I used some simple patterns from Marvellous: one circular and two rectangular, on the sides. The wrinkled effect came from the different pattern sizes (Fig.07 - 08).
For the photo frame I utilised a photo as a texture, using all the effects from the real model. This technique is interesting to use for some types of objects (Fig.09).
For positioning the stones inside the glass lamp, I use the MassFX simulation package. It was important to subdivide the mesh stones quite well. MassFX supports simulations very well (Fig.10).
The wood box was opened using Unwrap. It's important to say that I applied another extra texture on the wooden edges, making them bumpy, with no gloss at all (Fig.11).
The floor was modeled by hand, with the material shown in Fig.12. The interesting detail was on bump, where I used a mix between a V-Rray edge texture with a wood map, making the effect of round corners.
The Pinus wardrobe has a very opaque glossiness on the material, but with a touch of gloss on top. I used the same technique as I had on the floor; with a V-Ray edge texture with a wood bump (Fig.13).
Fig.14 shows some wire frames.
The light was basically made using a V-Ray sun and V-Ray Sky with different settings on each camera. Not all the shots would have nice details with basic lights, so I chose to adjust each camera individually.
Here's the final image (Fig.15).