Making Of 'Kogaion Bot'
First of all I made a sketch with the general volumes of the project. It is not a work of art or a very detailed drawing as you see due to the fact that I did not want to restrict the model from the start. The purpose of this sketch was to give me the idea of what the robot will look like and what will be the position of it in all stages of transforming. First of all I made a sketch with the general volumes of the project. It is not a work of art or a very detailed drawing as you see due to the fact that I did not want to restrict the model from the start. The purpose of this sketch was to give me the idea of what the robot will look like and what will be the position of it in all stages of transforming.
I started to prepare some boxes to help me in the pivots positioning and making the proper moves of the different parts in the transforming process, and then the real modeling part began.
At the beginning the model was low poly and after that a mesh smooth modifier was applied on it. Here are two screenshots with some parts of the bott in their final form:
At the completion of the modeling process, the bott was looking like in the below picture (the attack mode):
Then I started to make the projections. The majority of them are planar ones and the rest is produced with UVW mapping and edited in Unwrap.
Here are some of them:
I organized the projections to fit in 16 squares of 1024X1024 pixels. After that I started to choose and modify the source textures from the CD to get these 16 final textures. The textures were made in Adobe Photoshop 7. There are 3 fill textures for the general colors of the bott and 13 detail ones.
These are the textures:
Wing and rockets
Cables, main reactor, pistons
The below presented details were made with different layer styles and blending
I used 4 textures from the CD: one red hatch, one red handle, one red hull, and a grate depicted from an engine texture.
As you see there are some bevel and emboss effects and a grate with an overlay option. The bolts and the dish were obtained with circular selections from the hatch on the right and copied on separate layers: the dish with upper bevel and bolts
with a negative one. The central device of the dish (down left) is a handle texture with a negative bevel applied on its layer. The bump maps have been made using the correspondent source textures found on the CD.
This represents one of them:
For the final scene the terrain was made from several deformations of a plane and a mesh smooth applied on it.
The source texture for the terrain can be found also on the CD. For the illumination of the scene, I used 3 lights.
The key light is only one that produces shadows (ray traced). The back light is not illuminating the terrain. The back and the key light are target spots and the fill light is directional and is used to illuminate the terrain. I used 60 degrees FOV for the camera. For the diffuse glow effect on the metal surface of the bott I made a render with the key light only without diffuse illumination (specular only).
I used this render on the final picture as a separate layer in Photoshop with a Gaussian blur applied and some transparence.
The backround is a star map from the same CD. Finally, on the entire composition I applied a new layer having decreased transparence with a red 3D Cloud effect.
I would like to mention that the only difference between the original project and the actual one is the absence of the wings. I hope you will enjoy the picture.
For any further details, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Email address: email@example.com