Making Of 'Headphones in the Bathroom'
First of all it's my pleasure to show this project here on 3DTotal one of the most complete cg website in the world.
Everything began in a free time among my other work, at GP2 Studios - SÃ£o Paulo ( http://www.gp2net.net ), I got my headphones and start to modelling it, after a couple of hours I started to make the shaders and decided to make a still. Don't question me why, but I had the idea to make to headphones in the bathroom, after doing the still I started to animate and my focus was to get a very realistic render in this animation.
I used my own headphone as a model reference (SBC hp250 - Philips), I utilized 100% of box modeling techniques to do it and that gave me a nice control over the mesh and a nice velocity to make it and I also I did the same to do the nice wall ceramics.
I used Standard 3DMAX materials to shade almost everything in the scene, exception for the plastic and metal materials. I did those exceptions using Vray materials, a good option to save render time and make beautiful reflection using HDR images.
I used one hdri image as a main illumination and four more omnis to help me out with the specular reflections and to generate four precise specular points at the phones.
I like using Vray render. Many people say it isn't a professional render, but I see it's becoming more robust and steady each newer version. It brings me the quality and velocity I need in my works. To avoid the famous flicking shadows I used the medium animation preset and everything was did in a great style (no problems). In my opinion it's one of the must powerful renders available on the market.
I used Adobe After Effects and at this stage I'd like to introduce my friend Renato Ferro (http://www.renatoferro.com) who taught me a lot of tricks and also gave me some ideas. At this stage I burned out my brain because I wasn't to familiar using After Effects, but in a good way I learned a lot! Exporting Z channel using scanline render I got the DOF lens effects using After. I colourized every object separated, at "2D" part of the animation, doing masks of every object in the scene. I got those masks applying a 100% of self-illumination at the material of the object I wanted to be masked and a matte shadow in the others. After that I had all objects separated like masks and the possibility to colorize everything separated. Twixtor plug-in was an excellent option to sync music/animation using Adobe After.
I hope you guys enjoy the "making of " and I hope you learned something. If you have questions just send me an e-mail. Thank's.