Making of 'Ford Mustang'
I'm Zdenek UrbÃ¡nek, I was born in 1987 in the Czech Republic where I live and study. In this Making Of, I will show you something of the process I used to create this scene. For this scene I used 3DS Max 7, and Adobe Photoshop for creating the textures. Firstly, I found many reference images and blue-prints of the Mustang 1965, and used a few elements from other models as reference material. For the blue-prints I made 4 planes for 4 views, and I right-set it with the aid of a box.
I started by creating the wheel. On the tyre, I have done one part which I attach for the right duration.
For the wheel rim, I did this in the same way (Box Modelling). I then made the wheel brace and the Mustang logo which is in the middle wheel. Behind the wheel, I created a simple brake. I made a narrow cylinder in the correct proportion, and to the cylinder I added a lot of holes. This rim, for example, isn't typical of a Ford Mustang, but I wanted it.
The image below is the show render wheel only. This image was done in a Final Render System, but the settings for V-ray were very similar. Regarding the material, I will talk about this later.
The image below is the final car model in a wire render and all is ready for meshsmooth. The basic form of the vehicle body was made according to prepared blue-prints (which I discussed at the beginning). Afterwards I added more details, which are very important for the final render.
I would like show you some details of the interior - steering wheel, seats, handles - but these parts are all almost invisible in the final render.
The details will follow next...
Texturing and shading
I found most of the textures on the Internet and used Photoshop for corrections. For the tarmac texture I used a few textures from a few packs, made in Photoshop. One texture had 6000x4000, and from that I made a bump map and displacement map. For the car material I used a composite mat. The car shade has three parts: the first part is a basic shade which has two layers, both have VrayMtl where it has a reflect fall-off map; the second part is the dirt, which is just a bitmap as diffuses and an alpha map which controls opacity, all drawn in Photoshop and using a texture from the 3DTotal Textures collection; the third part of the composite mat is the speed stripes which is like the basic material but is white in colour and less reflective. Wheels have VrayMtl where it is a spectral noise map, and a bump map for the text on the side of the wheel.
Rendering and lighting
The whole scene was rendered in V-ray .There is one target directional light and the same HDRI map. The final image was rendered with an "anti-aliasing" filter, set on Catumll-Rom. The render engine is an irradiance map set on the image. Because I don't have a powerful computer, I had to reduce some of the set up. The scene was rendered on AMD Athlon 1800+, 1024Mb Ram and Ati Radeon 9600. The render time was about 9 hours.
The image below shows the environment. The puddles were created as a big plane, after we can see pools where there is tarmac (second plane) reduced by a displacement map.
In the final image, I used Photoshop post-production only for the brightness.
The final render of the scene can be seen below.