Making of 'Breeze Of The Past'
The work consists of an old office room in good condition, still in use even now. I started this work wanting to create a silent story, so I made the components of the room appear to be speaking for themselves; each piece tells you a story and is reminiscent of memories .
Before starting the modeling I searched for suitable pictures which would help with the modeling on the project.I searched for these pictures in web search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Flickr.
Some of the reference images I used can be seen in Fig.01.
To look at the project, it would seem that the modeling was pretty difficult, but actually it was very simple in the shape and content. All the modeling was done by using editable splines and editable polys.
I started by modeling the project environment: an office room. I wasn't particularly interested in the details of the environment - I was going to focus more on the details that were inside the room and were important to the project.
Once the room was complete, the next step was to fill it with some furniture starting with a bookcase. Before I started modeling the bookcase, I searched for some more reference images for bookcases that would be suitable for the scene and could contain a large number of books and found this useful blueprint (Fig.02).
Inside 3ds Max I used editable splines and editable polys to convert this blueprint into a 3D model of the bookcase. I also completed the other furniture in the same way, which can be seen in Fig.03.
For the ornaments in the scene - like the details on the desk - I used a very simple method. I know there are many different ways to create ornaments like this, but in my opinion, my method is a good way of getting the shape I want without getting bored with the project.
The detail on the desk is a group of repeated tree leaves. I began with one leaf and then multiplied it to form an identical group and built up the design from there (Fig.04 - 06).
As for the other details in the scene, I did these in separate files and then imported them into the project. Some examples of the models which were used in this project can be seen in Fig.07.
This is what the scene looked like at the end of the modeling phase (Fig.08).
Materials & Textures
In Fig.09 you can see the fully textured scene alongside the original model.
I used the UVW mapping technique for all of the textures in this scene. The textures were obtained from cg.textures.com and all the materials I used were blend materials. Most of the project was done by using only one mask and that was a picture of an old book cover which I used in most of my materials and at some of the other stages to give the sense of the room being old.
Texturing the books was somewhat different because they were all different sizes. So I went back to the book pictures I'd gathered for the project and then textured one book. Then by changing the size of each book and the textures, I was able to create the full library.
Here are some of the materials I used in this project (Fig.10 - 12).
And here's an example of how I created the wood material and how I used the old book picture that I mentioned before as a mask (Fig.13).
For the lighting, I used a VRay light, a Target Direct light with VRray shadows and an HDR image (Fig.14) .
The settings for these lights can be seen in Fig.15.
The settings that I used for the render can be seen in Fig.16.
Post - Production
Post-production is the most important stage of any work and the simplest. The target of this stage is to add atmosphere and mood to the scene.
To make the fog image, I removed all the lights apart from the Target Direct light. I selected Shadow Map for the type of Shadow, with the addition of Volume Light Effect. I also made sure I'd turned off the VRay environment and then selected all the models, giving them a VRay material with a black color, and repeated the rendering again.
I composited the image inside the Photoshop. Firstly I merged the fog picture with the original picture by changing the layers to Screen and setting Opacity to 60% . I also corrected the colors and I added some simple effects by using the Photoshop brushes and the pretty plug-in "Color Efex Pro 3.0" to add atmosphere and mood to the scene (Fig.17).
And here is the final image (Fig.18)
I hope you find this Making Of useful and if you have any questions don't hesitate to send an email to me. Very best wishes!