Making Of 'Boom'

At the moment, we can't really say too much about this character, but we expect he'll be one of the most peculiar ones in our upcoming short film, Z14!


We started painting in Photoshop over a screenshot of the modelled 3D character to define a palette scheme for texturing (Fig.01).

Fig. 01

Fig. 01

We were pleased with the overall look of the sketch; still, we knew a lot of details were going to be required in order to achieve the final look that we were aiming for.

First step: the face! We painted the texture in a very high resolution (Fig.02). For all those weird-looking unwrap seams we paid no heed - we would tackle that at a later phase with BodyPaint 3D!



Fig.02 - Click Image to Enlarge

We worked on a hand-painted base layer to define a general colour and look. After that, the details were added: lips, eyes and cheeks, as well as low opacity textures to add a bit of realism to the skin (Fig.03a - c)!

Fig. 03a

Fig. 03b

Fig. 03c

We proceeded to erase the seam, easily achieved with BodyPaint 3D by simply cloning the texture around the area (Fig.04).

Fig. 04

For each of the metallic and cloth parts we painted a base texture, then added colour variations and a mask on top for the worn-out and corroded details (Fig.05a - c).

Fig. 05a

Fig. 05b

Fig. 05c

At the end of the painting phase we added a basic 3-point lighting setup. For certain parts we added extra lights to achieve a more convincing look, i.e. lights for the eyes only (Fig.06).

Fig. 06

At this stage - very close to the final look - we painted a few more details and played around with the hues until we achieved our desired fully-textured character (Fig.07).

Fig. 07

We are all very happy with the final result, and we will soon be working on the other characters! For any comment or questions please do not hesitate to contact me at:

Fetching comments...

Post a comment