Making Of 'Bedroom White & Wood'
Hello everybody! It's a great honor to write this Making Of. I would like to say thank you to everyone that has supported me in making this image. I'd also like to thank 3DTotal for giving me the opportunity to show you a little bit more about this work. I believe that when I show all my settings and the way I work, I'm not only helping other people but I'm helping myself too.
This Making Of is mainly going to focus on my lighting, rendering and textures and I hope you enjoy it. I'm available to answer any question by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fig.01 - 03 show my views. You can see the position of the lights and also the whole wireframe.
The top view shows the direct light position (Sun). To simulate the sun I used a V-Ray sun. For the environment I put in a V-Ray sky, with a Sun node on to a V-Ray Sun. The settings are showed in Fig.04.
I used a V-Ray camera for all views. The basic settings can be seen in Fig.05 and some parameters were changed from one camera to other to fix the DOF.
The render settings I used are simple. I selected the hybrid method using Brutal force (as primary bounce) and Light Cache (as secondary bounce). I put a lower light cache in to provide a bit more contrast and reduced the blend color on floor.
This scene has a Gamma setting 2.2, but I changed the exposure control. I also used Reinhard color mapping to make a linear method, where the colors are better.
I don't like to use Ambient Occlusion, because it's a technique that changes the illumination too much. But using Ambient Occlusion with GI produces a good result and I recommend giving it a try.
The AA filter I used was Area with a high value to lose some definition. I used a high value because it's a big resolution (Fig.06).
The floor was modeled using a plane. I used six vertical faces on this plane. I created an object for each face, so I could reorganize all the faces as I wanted. To create the lines in each piece of wood, I used the V-Ray edge texture in the bump channel. The material and model are simple, as you can see (Fig.07 - 09).
The wood texture was simple too, I just used glossy and reflect (Fig.10).
For this part I used the Glass Physical preset (mr Arch Design). In Fig.11 you can see all of the settings.
For the throw on the bed I used Reactor Cloth and then subdivided with turbosmooth so that the fur wasn't too heavy (Fig.12 - 13).
For the bed sheets I used a Displace painted by hand. The whole map was made in Max using unwrap (pelt)
(Fig.14 - 15).
This is a simple Displace too (Fig.16).
The book borders were textured with some books pictures. This technique helps to quickly create a lot of books (Fig.17).
For the chair throw I used ZBrush. I used a plane for the cloth and I modeled in lowpoly (Fig.18).
This glass ball was created from a big sphere, with small ones inside using the Noise modifier to make them different. They are all just one object so I inverted the normal from small spheres (Fig.19).
And here's the final image (Fig.20)!
To see more by Ramon Zancanaro, check out Prime - The Definitive Digital Art Collection