Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!


Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more


Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

submit tutorial
1 | 2
Making of 'The Defender'

| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
(Score 4.5 out of 5 after 4 Votes)
| Comments 1
Date Added: 9th December 2009
Software used:


This is just my know-how, and I hope that it can be helpful to you.

First of all, this game character was to be made through the Unreal 3 Engine, and this character illustration was for commercial purposes. However, for several reasons, the project couldn't be completed.


The character is a fusion-style SWAT solider of the near future. He is able to conduct some magic, jump high, and his clothing is based on a contemporary design. I didn't know too much about SWAT clothing when I started this concept, so I gathered some images for reference (Fig.01).

Fig. 01


First of all, the low-poly model was created in 3ds Max. Since the game was to be produced with the Unreal 3 Engine, the body was exaggerated (Unreal Engine's field of view is very wide). The low-poly model that was produced in 3ds Max was then shaped roughly in ZBrush. Since it was going to have bullet-proof clothing with many accessories on the clothing, it didn't take too much time to produce.

The rough ZBrush data was then taken back to Max and the accessories and bullet-proof clothing were made using the basic body line as a guide (Fig.02).

Fig. 02

The items shown in Fig.03 were then designed and created in ZBrush.
The normal and cavity maps that are required for high-poly mapping were taken from the ZBrush data for each part.

Fig. 03


I imported the mesh of each ZBrush part and processed the mapping, after applying the basic materials in high-poly (Fig.04).

Fig. 04

I extracted the complete map, diffuse map and normal map using the render to texture function (Fig.05).

Fig. 05

I then extracted the occlusion map and tested it in the 3ds Max and using the Unreal Engine. I used 1024 map sizes for each part (head, body, arms etc.), and made the diffuse specular normal map.

continued on next page >

1 | 2
Related Tutorials

Making Of 'The Kid'

by Claudius Vesting
published on 2009-12-09

Keywords: character, boy, male, kid,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none (4)
Comments 0 Views 103115

Making of 'Victory!'

by James Suret
published on 2014-07-22

Keywords: Making of, Cyborg, Character, Female, Soldier, ZBrush, Photoshop

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none (3)
Comments 0 Views 44330

Making Of 'Grandfather Nurgle'

by Oleg 'Leshiy' Shekhovtsov
published on 2012-10-22

Keywords: character, monster, horror, tongue,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (10)
Comments 0 Views 58467

Head Texturing Tutorial

by Aivaras Grauzinis
published on 2009-06-22

Keywords: maya, texturing, head, character,

rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none (0)
Comments 0 Views 29362
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
Daidryn on Thu, 01 March 2012 10:50pm
Hello Mr.Won may i please borrow this charescter i just have some great ideas me and my friends im 15 and i would really like to borrow him please contact me at
Add Your Comment..