Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!


Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more


Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

submit tutorial
1 | 2
Making of 'Red Baron'

| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star halfrating star none
(Score 3.6 out of 5 after 5 Votes)
| Comments 0
Date Added: 27th May 2010
Software used:
With all honesty, this was a challenge I took due to the fact that one of my friends was one of the judges for this contest. Not that I was looking for any help, but I was looking for some constructive criticism and advice. In addition, the idea of creating a Steampunk image sounded very entertaining.

As always the first step was to think of an idea for the project. The first thing that I thought of was recreating an airplane in a Steampunk style. That led to the conclusion of making a model of the Red Baron.

That decision almost got me disqualified, however due to the support of the other contestants who liked what I was producing, and a few logical arguments to justify my decision, I stayed in the game.

Ok! First things first, I had to come up with a concept for the project. Drawing with a pencil on paper has never been my strength, yet I managed to put a rough draft together. It was good enough for me to be able to use the approximate measurements to move forward (Fig.01).

Fig. 01

I started with the airplane first. I did some Google searches, looked at a few pictures and decided to use the German airplane Messersmith BF-109. I downloaded the blue prints and started with the modeling of the plain.

I decided to do something different and move away from my usual thought on modeling. Instead of doing the entire plain first, then the details, I decided to model the airplane out part by part and piece by piece. Usually I cut the parts out, which allows me to put them together (Fig.02).

Fig. 02

After the model of the standard airplane was done I started focusing on the details. I decided that this airplane would have two wings on each side and have a jet engine vs. propellers. Under the upper wings I placed massive machine guns. On top of the wings I decided to place an exhaust. And finally, I decided to place the jet engine under the body of the airplane. I then added a few minor details to make this airplane look and feel like it is a Steampunk style airplane (Fig.03).

Fig. 03

After each part was created and placed together to create the final model of the airplane, I was happy to find out that the plain turned out exactly the way I wanted it. There was still a lot of work left to do and a lot more modeling of parts, such as the airplane's tires and the airplane's interior. Due to the fact that I was pressed for time and that this was a static image, I decided not to model the parts that were not going to be shown. Therefore my next step was to figure out which camera angle I was going to be using, to help me figure out what I still needed to model and what could be left out (Fig.04).

Fig. 04

To rest a bit, and to do something other than modeling, I decided to texture out the model of the airplane. Because it did not make sense to me to do the UV map for each part, I put some of the models together into one 3D image. First I made the airplane body, then the wings and then the rest. I used Photoshop to create the map layout.

I was not too satisfied with the way the secular map turned out, however I felt it would do just fine for this project. All the material was done in VRay as the rest of the scene was arranged that way as well (Fig.05).

This is an example of the material used for the modeling of the airplane. A simple setup without any complicated items (Fig.06).

Fig. 05

Fig. 06

Since the main character (the airplane) was complete I decided to focus more on the remaining objects that were going to be part of the big picture. One of the bigger items in the scene was the zeppelin. I Googled around and found a few example models of it online. Since there was no real need for me to focus on any specific drawings, I decided to just use the examples to orient myself to the form of the zeppelin. I stared adding the details that would make it a Steampunk style zeppelin. That included huge propellers, golden details and decorations on the engine and the steel construction (Fig.07).

Fig. 07

continued on next page >

1 | 2
Related Tutorials

Making Of 'BMW C1: Urban Trespasser'

by Makar Verigo
published on 2010-12-30

Keywords: vehicle, bike, bmw, urban, trespasser,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (6)
Comments 0 Views 160301

Making Of 'AH1Z Viper Helicopter'

by Martin Kostov
published on 2011-02-07

Keywords: vehicle, aircraft, helicopter, viper,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none (22)
Comments 6 Views 70073

Snow Displacement using V-Ray

by Eric Ennis
published on 2009-07-22

Keywords: snow, displacement, vray, scene, aircraft, plane,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (4)
Comments 1 Views 98401

Making Of 'Fumes FX'

by Shishir Ambastha
published on 2009-12-09

Keywords: scene, fire, explosion, fume,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (3)
Comments 2 Views 79932
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
no comments!
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
Add Your Comment..