Charity Donations: Autumn - Winter 2021-2022
From 2022, 3dtotal has committed to donating 50% of our net profits to charitable causes to help the world and the people who inhabit it, thanks to the incredible support from our valued customers, employees, and partners. We wanted to share what our success has allowed us to donate from October 2021 – April 2022
We have donated to the following causes:
- £75,000 to Founders Pledge Climate Change Fund
- £57,722 to Effective Altruism Animal Welfare Fund
- £57,722 to Effective Altruism Global Health and Development Fund
- £21,632 to Rainforest Foundation US
- £20,000 to Worcestershire UK Rewilding
- £12,828 to Effective Altruism Infrastructure Fund
- £1,170 to HCC Children’s Home in Nepal
- We have now planted another 129,268 trees for our One Tree Planted for Every Book Sold pledge to Eden Reforestation Projects
Including previous donations made since 2011,
our running total now stands at £623,343, approximately $829,426
From 2020 onwards, we pledged to plant one tree for every book we sold, in a bid to help offset the environmental impact of the printing and shipping of our books. Our success during this latest time period means that we can plant another 129,268 trees from the sales of our books, with the help of Eden Reforestation Projects. Since our pledge, we have now planted an incredible 479,958 trees. We would like to thank everyone who has bought a 3dtotal book this year and helped us make this happen!
Image © Founders Pledge
The Founders pledge - climate change fund is committed to finding and funding sustainable solutions to the emissions crisis that still allow growth, freeing millions from the prison of energy poverty. With clear objectives for 2022/23, the fund aims to save lives which would have been needlessly lost to air pollution, create a future without energy poverty, and protect the planet for our children and grandchildren.
Image © Rainforest Foundation US
Rainforest Foundation US supports indigenous and traditional peoples in Central and South America in their efforts to protect their environment from deforestation and fulfill their rights. With an effective and respectful human rights-based approach to environmental protection, Rainforest Foundation US has been able to protect over 30 million acres of tropical rainforest since its inception in 1989.
Image © Centre For Effective Altruism
Over the last few years, we have started to explore the world of Effective Altruism and it has since become one of our biggest beneficiaries. Their research reveals how supporting high impact interventions has been proven to make the biggest difference. They operate by the guiding principles of commitment to others, scientific mindset, openness, integrity, and collaborative spirit. In our resolution to help the earth through donating to worthy causes, we use the Centre for Effective Altruism as our guide to ensure our charitable funds make as much impact as possible.
We have chosen three funds to donate to in this period:
- Global Health and Development Fund, which recommends grants with the aim of improving people’s lives, typically in the poorest regions of the world where the need for healthcare and economic empowerment is greatest.
- Animal Welfare Fund, which aims to effectively improve the well-being of nonhuman animals, particularly in neglected geographic regions or groups of animals.
- Infrastructure Fund, which aims to increase the impact of projects that use the principles
Image © HCC Nepal Children’s Home
Ever since 2018 and a trip made by 3dtotal founder, Tom Greenway, to the HCC Nepal Children’s Home in Kathmandu, we have helped the children in whatever practical way deemed necessary. We have begun providing monthly payments, to be used as the Home sees fit, but once we saw the work from some budding young artists, decided to also send a delivery of digital art supplies to encourage their development.
Image © Tom Greenway
Worcestershire Rewilding is a local charitable organisation that aims to purchase low grade agricultural land to rewild and establishing new nature reserves. Its main aims are to help to fight the biodiversity and carbon crisis whilst providing wonderful habitats and also spaces for people to experience and enjoy. This latest donation helped to kick off the funding to buy local land to create a nature reserve on the banks of the river Teme.
Image © Tom Greenway
We had £10,720 from last period to give to local charities. This has been split between:
- The Worcestershire Wildlife Trust to help extend an historic, local nature reserve ‘Monkwood’ with adjoining meadows, and protect it for generations to come,
- West Mercia Rape & Sexual Abuse Support Centre,
- Worcester Street Cafe to help support the homeless,
- UNHCR to support Ukrainian refugees