Designer - GUI/UX
For Rebellion in Oxford, UK
- Relocation assistance
Rebellion are currently looking for an enthusiastic GUI/UX Designer devoted to building intuitive, cutting-edge user interface experiences for games on all current platforms. The successful applicant will understand the importance of usability and visual communication, be self-driven and talented, with a genuine interest in playing games.
This role is full-time based in-house at our Oxford HQ. We can consider permanent or contract employment but not freelance or agencies. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
Please include a link to your portfolio of examples demonstrating outstanding technical ability and understanding of user interfaces.
Experience of implementing graphical user interfaces, awareness of best selling games and the graphical styles they employ. Some game industry experience is preferred but not essential, print or web-layout experience will also be considered.
You will be responsible for;
- Work closely with a GUI Artist to design and implement 2D front-end game interfaces and in-game display HUDs
- Work closely with each project’s design team to ensure menus and interface reflect the overarching goals of the title in the most intuitive fashion
- Streamline and implement logical menu flow and function of interfaces
- Work with technical artists and tools programmers to improve efficiency of workflow
- Work to a functional and aesthetic brief within technical platform constraints/limitations and ensure publisher/platform compliancy
- Document processes and task tracking, with great attention to detail
- Research new tools, techniques and processes and how they can benefit Rebellion
- Collaborate productively within larger multi-disciplined project team environments, communicating ideas and issues clearly
- Work effectively with minimal levels of guidance, prioritising and scheduling your own work
- Be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure, meeting multiple production objectives
- Great knowledge of flow and function of game interfaces, user interface design and game navigation
- Skilled in GUI design and layouts
- Knowledge of game engines and artist tools
- Detail-orientated with a logical, structured approach
- Excellent initiative, self-motivation, communication, organisational and problem solving skills, as well as team-working and the ability to accept and follow direction
- Ability to grasp new concepts and tools quickly
- Knowledge of Photoshop and/or Flash preferred but not essential
- An aesthetic eye with experience of layout, web-design, print or typography would be advantageous
- A genuine interest in playing games
- Holidays: 25 days paid annual leave plus all bank holidays (33 days total)
- Hours: flexible start and finish times
- Pension: contributory pension scheme where company matches 3%, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Cycle Scheme: spread bike payments over 12 months, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Childcare Vouchers: for nurseries, holiday care and after school clubs, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Eye Test Vouchers: free eye tests and additional discounts on glasses/contact lenses
- Introduction Bonus: £1k for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Free Stuff: Rebellion Steam titles, GDC Vault access, Autodesk home licence for 3D artists (for personal use only, we actively discourage working from home!), digital 2000AD/Solaris/Abaddon/Ravenstone copies, game and film library
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000AD merchandise, discounted membership at The Athlete Centre gym 200 metres from Oxford studio
- Culture: friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance (anti-crunch)
- Social: annual company events (Summer BBQ & Christmas Party), various ad-hoc events and out-of-hours social groups such as photography, board games, football, baking, etc
- Oxford Location: local pub, M&S and Waitrose, 10 minute walk to train station and 20 minute walk to city centre
With a history of producing award-winning, chart-topping games, we are looking to build on our success with talented and creative people who have a passion for making great games and want to be at the forefront of developing gaming technology.
Known historically for work on beloved series such as Aliens vs Predator and Battlefront, our desire to work on our own IP has delivered major independent hits including Sniper Elite 4, Strange Brigade, Zombie Army Trilogy and acclaimed PlayStation VR launch title, Battlezone VR.
Rebellion currently have 5 job openings.View all jobs