Senior Character Artist
For Certain Affinity in Toronto, Canada
Want to work on some of the biggest franchises in gaming? Certain Affinity, the largest independent video game developer in Austin, Texas, is opening a second location in Toronto, Canada — and we’re looking for exceptionally talented people to collaborate with our Austin studio. Together we’ll be co-developing AAA FPS games and creating our own compelling new IP.
We are seeking a talented Senior Character Artist to join our team and help make great games. The job will require working closely with designers, engineers, and artists to create convincing, visually stunning robotic game characters for an unannounced AAA title.
The position requires a strong sense of design mixed with video game art production methods. You also must be someone that can mentor artists and help continue to push art to the next level. If you enjoy the challenge of building a wide variety of stunning robots, weapons, and vehicles- apply now!
- Create high-resolution on photo-realistic 3D of hard surface characters, weapons, and props
- Ensure consistency and quality of own work
- Create art that is focused on performance as well as quality
- Receive feedback and modify work based on direction
- Collaborate with material team to create high-quality characters
- Work with the Art Director, the Lead Character Artist and the Character Team in technical/aesthetic problem-solving efforts
- Work closely with other departments to ensure art supports a gameplay-first player experience
- Support the Art Director and Lead Character Artist in executing on visual direction
- Create models, textures, and other benchmark assets that inspire others
- 5+ years of experience making character art for games
- Shipped a AAA title as a character artist
- Portfolio showing off your work
- Incredible communications and interpersonal skills
- Expertise in hard surface modeling
- Fine art background and a strong understanding of color structure and silhouette in respect of modeling
- Basic understanding of rigging and articulation.
- Proficiency in Photoshop, 3d Modeling programs such as Max, Maya, Fusion 360, Mol, ZBrush, Substance Designer, etc.
- Solid knowledge of current high-end real-time character creation and the ability to take us into the future.
- High attention to detail and the ability to faithfully translate concepts and ideas
- Work with Art Director, Lead Character Artist and Character Team in technical/aesthetic problem-solving efforts
- Experience with creating PBR materials.
- Passion and ability to work as a positive, collaborative, enthusiastic, ambitious and contributing team member with a real desire to work with the team to find solutions
- Ability to travel internationally
- Experience in Unreal Editor 4
- Shader Authoring Experience
- Animation or Rigging Experience
- FX Experience
- Concept or Illustration Experience
- Blueprint Experience in Unreal
Certain Affinity has built a strong reputation as the go-to co-development partner for AAA action titles, with recent contributions to World of Tanks, Call of Duty, and DOOM. In fact, the highly prolific studio has been a lead developer or co-developer on more than 25 products across 10 different franchises, with combined sales of more than 100 million units. The company’s leadership has taken a calculated, long-term approach to building the business, and is proud of its track record in its first 12 years: profitable every year and never once laying anyone off.
Certain Affinity currently have 3 job openings.View all jobs