Starting a painting in grayscale and adding color is a useful technique to learn regardless of genre or skill level, especially if you struggle with value and color.
You can find step-by-step guidance on this method in Jon Neimeister's chapter in Beginner's Guide to Digital Painting in Photoshop 2nd edition.
Throughout this tutorial, you will learn how to:
• Use layers and clipping masks to structure and
organize a painting
• Use value to create a strong image
• Use gradient maps and blending modes to colorize an image
• Render a range of different surface textures
• Add atmospheric lighting effects
Get your copy of Beginner's Guide to Digital Painting in Photoshop 2nd edition here: https://bit.ly/3wgb6UC
Artwork © Jon Neimeister
Staff pick for 2nd July 2021